The Fairfax R-3 Board of Education met July 18, 2019, at the school in Fairfax, Missouri. Board president Mike Lewis called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Board members present were Mike Lewis, Marshal Oswald, Jon Graves, Sam O’Riley, Chris Smith, Josh Oswald, and Doug Miller. Others present were Superintendent Jeremy Burright and board secretary Karen Burke.
Mike Lewis presented the agenda. Doug Miller made a motion to approve the agenda with additions and deletions as presented and the board approved the motion.
• As of July 8, 2019, ledger, year to date expenditures were $2,146,209.93 or 115% of total budgeted expenditures.
• YTD Revenue as of June 20, 2019, was $2,335,375.17, which is $369,483.17 over or 118% of projected revenues.
• EOY Actual: The July 8 ledger reports that revenues plus expenditures (the amount left after bills are paid) is $189,165.24. This is the amount that will be added to the school’s reserve for the 2018-2019 school year. The invoice for the new athletic lockers has not been paid, but this will come from the Basketball Tournament SA account.
• Insurance clearing account: $0.00. All payments for current roof work have been made. There is still some supplemental work that will also be turned into the insurance company which will be filtered through the insurance claim account and most likely paid in fiscal year 2019-2020.
• 5.2.A. Monthly Reconciliation
5.2.A.1 18-19 Year-
5.2.A.2 19-20 Year-No Report until August.
• 5.2.B. Monthly Budget Comparison
June Expenses 17-18 were $309,644.27
June Revenues 17-18 were $195,630.90
June Expenses 18-19 were $691,499.50
June Revenues 18-19 were $115,033.87
• 5.2.C. Fund Balance Report
Current fund balance as of July 10, 2019, $966,312.41
• 5.2.D Activity Accounts $87,906.98 in revenues for 2018-19 and $98,174.44 in expenses.
The July monthly bills in the amount of $288,989.41 were reviewed and approved for payment.
2019-20 Budget Correction: Clerical errors on the budget approved in June 2019 require review. The budget has been corrected and posted. Currently it is planned to approve an updated budget in August after setting the tax rate. To review and approve this month would still not reflect actual tax rates after the equalization board hearing.
Insurance Clearing Account: This account has been zeroed out, but is still active for supplemental work turned in to the insurance company.
Lease Purchase Account: The lease purchase balance is still $58,239.
• Facility update: Superintendent Burright is currently working with two different companies to get bids for fire systems, Coenen Electric and a business recommended by Honeywell, Specialized Engineering Solutions. The State Fire Marshal’s office does not do inspections/recommendations for public school facilities.
Lockers are scheduled for delivery on July 23, the day before the floor refinishing.
Transportation Update: Superintendent Burright will keep everyone posted on the delivery date for the new bus. The current buses will be receiving annual DOT inspections in the next two weeks.
Annual Wolves’ Expenses and Revenues: Tarkio will be reimbursing Fairfax for $9,536.16.
The board approved the consent agenda.
Adoption of Board Policies: Dr. Burright reviewed the updates of board policies with the board members. Doug Miller made a motion to adopt policies and regulations: P2871, P4870 and P550 as presented. The motion passed unanimously.
Tax Rate Hearing: Josh Oswald made a motion to set the tax rate hearing for 6:30 p.m. on August 15, 2019. The motion passed unanimously.
Van Purchase: Sam O’Riley made a motion to approve a 10 passenger van purchase not to exceed $25,000. Jon Graves seconded the motion and the motion passed unanimously.
The next regular board meeting will be Thursday, August 15, 2019, following the tax rate hearing. The regular board meeting adjourned at 7:09 p.m.