April 28, 1944

• J. Dan Martin is the new manager of the Geiger & Graham elevator in Fairfax, taking the place of Ralph Hackett, who is entering the navy. Miss Pauline Hackett, Ralph’s sister, has leased the Crescent Theatre from her brother and will conduct the show while he is in the service.

• Students and faculty of the Fairfax High School enjoyed their annual picnic at Porter’s Lake near Shenandoah.

April 24, 1969

• After seven heirs divided what they wanted from the personal effects of the late Mrs. Mary B. Seymour, a sale containing 32 pages of 576 items was conducted at the premises Saturday afternoon. One of the largest crowds on record attended in ideal weather. The huge offering of antique effects kept the sale active until after 6:00 p.m. The house and lot attracted several bidders and was sold to J.D. Umbarger for $6,000.

• An initial phase in the highway resurfacing project about to begin at the west end of Fairfax’s Main Street and continue for 35 miles ending at Oregon, is the redesigning of the corner where it will commence, at the Texaco Station. Much cement has been removed and replaced to a level conforming to that of the street with the end result a much wider curve.

April 28, 1994

• The 9th annual Pelican Pursuit running event, sponsored by the Development Council of Community Hospital, was granted a day of beautiful weather and enthusiastic runners and raised over $9,000. The proceeds will be used to remodel and refurbish the clinical/emergency waiting room, surgical waiting room, and the conference room. All are in great need of additional seating to accommodate the use.