Take a look back at some of the interesting news found in Tarkio Avalanche newspapers from 10, 25, and 50 years ago:

July 2006
• Atchison County received a new OATS bus through a capital assistance grant. Federal funds paid for 80% of the cost of the vehicle and the remaining 20% was raised by the local Atchison County OATS Support Committee and includes $3,000 received from the First Christian Church of Rock Port.
• The sweltering heat of the past weekend, July 15 and 16, caused two sections of the concrete runway at the Tarkio airport to heave. The two sections were quickly removed and new concrete was poured.
• At the Atchison County Fair, Brooks Hurst and Amy Higgins and Ann and Matt Schlueter tied as the county “Super Farmers.” Danny Graves won the watermelon seed spitting contest.
• Tarkio beat Rock Port by 50 strokes and beat Mound City by 56 strokes in the 2nd annual Northwest Missouri Ryder Cup Event held July 29 and 30.

1991
• The Postal Service celebrated its 20th birthday with open houses at Westboro and Tarkio. Tarkio Postmaster Dave Wynn said, “Even though people have been using our postal system for more than 200 years, the new business-like Postal Service is only 20 years old. The space-age electronics we employ in mail processing are different from anything we had when the Postal Service was born 20 years ago.”
• Around 500 million people enjoyed an awesome sight on July 11 when a solar eclipse moved across Hawaii, into the United States and Mexico, and on through Central and South America.
• The sixth annual Ice Cream Social was held at St. John’s Lutheran Church on Thursday, July 4. The event started with a rocket launch followed by the ice cream social, song fest, and fireworks.
• Avalanche Screen Printing, located at 316 Main Street in Tarkio, held its Grand Opening and Ribbon Cutting Wednesday, July 24. The business prints on t-shirts, jackets, aprons, sweatshirts, etc.
• The 1991 Continental Amateur Baseball Association (C.A.B.A.) 11 & Under World Series Champions were the Dodgers from California. The Dodgers went undefeated throughout the entire round-robin and double elimination tournament and defeated Hawaii 3-2 in the championship game to take home top honors.

1966
• Seven professionals and businessmen from India will be guests of the Tarkio Rotary Club July 11 and 12. The seven-member Group Study Exchange Team of District 325 will be composed of selected non-Rotarian young men and one Rotarian as Governor’s representative. They left Calcutta May 30 and are making a two-month tour of Rotary district 603 in Missouri.
• Five Rangebred mares were won by Atchison County 4-H Club members. The winners were selected through an essay contest. They included Cindy Postlewait of Tarkio who won “Damit,” Rebecca Turnbull of Tarkio who won “Crescent,” Gary Amthor of Rock Port who won “Toledo,” Joyce Amthor of Rock Port who won “Chula,” and Wally Amthor of Rock Port who won “Piochie.”
• Work continues on Charity Lake in the Brickyard Hill Wildlife Area. Walking and bridle paths will make most of the 1,200 acres accessible to hunters, fishermen, and nature lovers.
• Tarkio Red Cross Swimming Program included 468 persons registered to participate, including: students – Tarkio 236, Fairfax 115, and Westboro 87; and an adult group representing all towns, 30.
• Miss Bonnie Callaway of Lathrop, Missouri, was named the queen of the 1966 Missouri High School Championship Rodeo in Tarkio. Miss Marilyn Jolly of Mexico, Missouri, was named All-Around Cowgirl and Phil Esther of Lebanon, Missouri, was named All-Around Cowboy.
• Tarkio recorded a high of 102 on July 12 and a low of 56 on July 21.
• Back in 1926, a newly-elected justice of the peace named H.P. Savage performed his first marriage ceremony. On July 4, 1966, he performed his 2,500th ceremony, not as a justice of the peace, but as Atchison County magistrate. One couple he wed was from Nebraska and they walked from the Brownville bridge seven miles to be married. After Magistrate Savage wedded the couple, he called his wife and they took the couple back to the bridge in his car, paid their bridge toll, and wished them a happy wedded life. Up to 1946, Missouri law did not require a wait between securing the license and getting married. This legal quirk made Rock Port the mecca for couples from Iowa nad Nebraska, where a three-day wait was required. It was during this time that Savage set a day’s record of five ceremonies in one 24-hour period.
• Darrell Wiley of Tarkio caught a 15 pound carp in the Tarkio River. He was fishing from the bank with a rod and reel and was assisted by two friends with a dip net in landing the big one.