May 6, 1993
• Cindy Fentiman and Sandy Umbarger are the proprietors of a business called the New Treasure Trunk and Nostalgic Boutique at the Treasure Trunk on Main Street in Tarkio. The new business will feature gift items, country crafts, antiques, and primitives.
• Construction on the runway along with other improvements at Gould Peterson Municipal Airport in Tarkio will begin in mid May and should be completed by mid summer.
• Pizza Hut introduced the world’s biggest commercial pizza, appropriately named BIGFOOT, on May 3. The BIGFOOT pizza is two square feet of pizza and is 25% larger than two medium 12-inch round pizzas.
May 2, 1968
• Did you know that Atchison County, Missouri, owns a two-acre tract in the east of Brownville, Nebraska, where the west approach of the Brownville Bridge rests? A photographer standing on Highway 136 in Brownville took a picture looking eastward toward the bridge. One sign warns that there is a tollhouse on the Missouri side of the span. Another sign shows where the Missouri state line is – on the west side of the Missouri River. This is one of several questions that will have to be answered before permanent ownership of the bridge is settled.
May 7, 1943
• Announcement was made this week by Bert Volker, local government weather observer, that only 3.29 inches of moisture has been recorded in Tarkio during the months of January, February, March, and April, showing a net deficiency of 8.71 inches for the perioid. This is the smallest precipitation for this period recorded here since 1934 when only 2.69 inches were recorded.
• According to a letter read at the city council meeting Monday evening, a contract was confirmed by the property owners whereby the north and south walls of the old Farmers Store building will be torn down and salvaged by J.L. Bay.
May 1, 2018
May 6, 1993