May 13, 1993
• The Fairfax Kiwanis members will recognize Worldwide Kiwanis Prayer Week May 9-15, 1993, said Norbert Lodygowski, president of the Kiwanis club of Fairfax. In observance of Worldwide Kiwanis Prayer Week, the club recognized three outstanding Christians of Fairfax who have made contributions to the spiritual welfare of the community. They are Adah Pyeatt, Margaret Graves, and Polly Arnold.
• Over the Backfence with Nancy Gaines read, “Fairfax lost another business owner this past week. Helen Thiesfeld has been in the business world the past 40 years in Fairfax. She provided the community a dry goods store since 1965. She was an avid Fairfax supporter and a good merchant to have on your team.”
May 9, 1968
• Commencement week opens in Fairfax Sunday evening as baccalaureate services are held at the high school auditorium honoring the 33 graduating seniors. Dr. Phillip H. Briggs, Professor of Religious Education at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, will deliver the commencement address Wednesday evening at the school auditorium at 8:00 o’clock. Short addresses by Steven Slemons, valedictorian, and Darry Martin, salutatorian, will add to the program.
• Mr. and Mrs. Earl David have purchased the Dairy Diner from Mr. and Mrs. David Burke and plan to have it open for business some time next week. Mrs. David managed the business two different seasons, so she is familiar with its operations.
• With the presentation of the 1968 Fairfax R-3 graduating class next Wednesday, Marvin Kruse will close a 30-year tenure in the local school system. “Seven hundred and seventy-one students will have graduated, along with the class of 1968, during the past 30 years,” said Principal Kruse, “and to my knowledge all are good citizens. The time has gone fast and it has been a rewarding experience working with these young people.”
May 14, 1943
• This is commencement week and seniors of Fairfax, Irish Grove and Daleview high schools received their diplomas at appropriate exercises held at the three schools on Wednesday evening. The Fairfax exercises were in the form of a patriotic pageant “Freedom Forever” with a cast of seniors, supported by other from the school. The Irish Grove speaker was Reverend William K. Chatten and the speaker at Daleview was the Revered Charles A. Finch.
May 8, 2018
May 13, 1993