July 22, 1993
• According to Bob Chapple, Atchison County University Extension Director, areas in the county have received 11 1/2 to 12 inches of rain since July 1. The normal amount of precipitation for the month of July is around 3 inches. Approximately 35% of the corn and soybean crops have been lost either because they didn’t get planted or because of the intense flooding in the area. The percentage changes by the hour as more damage is reported.
July 18, 1968
• Another “first” in law enforcement was registered in Atchison County recently when a motorist’s speed was checked by a highway patrol plane and the defendant pleaded guilty to speeding. The defendant’s speed (80.36 miles per hour in a 70) was checked on Highway 59 south of Tarkio by Cpl. Boyd Frederickson in a highway patrol plane and by Cpl. Fred Kling in his patrol car.
• Miss Trinh Bich Thuy, 26, of South Vietnam, is a guest in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lillian Thiesfeld for a 20-day period while she studies rural life and economy in Atchison County. She is a home economist in her home community near Saigon and is assisted there by two American advisors. A visitor in the United States for six months, her one wish is to see snow before she leaves the states.
• Sixty contestants, the largest number to ever compete in the Missouri State Championship High School Rodeo, rode, scrambled, and roped in three performances here last weekend. Saturday night’s event was attended by 1,900 people.
July 23, 1943
• Destructive elements in the form of strong wind and hail created havoc in the northern part of Atchison County early Monday morning, destroying crops, blowing over trees, and beating corn cribs and farm buildings to pieces. Mrs. L. H. Fosket reported a complete crop loss on one 75-acre field of corn at her place nine miles northwest of Tarkio, which is being farmed by Willis Trayer.
• Fire completely destroyed the barn at the C. H. Derry place. The blaze is supposed to have started in the loft which was filled with hay. A hog and four goats housed in and near the barn were uninjured. A fire at the Dee Hunter residence was minor, little damage being done to the roof which became ignited from a spark from the chimney. Fortunately the shingles were damp and as a result the blaze was confined to a small area.