December 30, 1993
• Ronceverte, West Virginia, residents recently sent stuffed stockings to all Fairfax Elementary students to make Christmas extra special after the devastating flood that occurred earlier in the year. The community also sent money for a flood project to help support junior and senior high school students in both Atchison and Holt counties.
• From “Bits & Wits by Uncle Fud”: “Christmas has come and gone and the only thing left is getting the bills for all the gifts. These could cause a few surprises as most people don’t keep a very close track of what they charge. That way you get thrilled twice in the buying and then the paying.”
December 26, 1968
• The Fairfax Christmas Home Lighting Contest winners include: The Most Distinctive Lighting – home of Mr. and Mrs. John Wells; First with A Religious Theme – home of Mr. and Mrs. J. Hayden Pyeatt; First Place in Originality – home of Mr. and Mrs. James R. Sly; and First for Simplicity in Decoration – home of Mr. and Mrs. Earle E. Sims.
• Mrs. Mildred Swan attended a regional meeting of the Stanley Products Company which she represents in Dallas, Texas, from Friday until Sunday. She earned the title of Miss Omaha by virtue of her sales record in the Omaha area and was the only sales woman in the region to receive three awards at the meeting.
December 31, 1943
• Sixteen men left Rock Port Wednesday morning making up the last December group of selectees to leave the county in December. Of the 16 men to leave, 10 were fathers. To date, the board has only a call for 18 men for the month of January.
• There are currently 68 schools in Atchison County. Every district in the entire county has free textbooks.