Junior receiver Gabe Abbott catches a pass from quarterback Alex Burke for six points.

Rock Port traveled to DeKalb, Missouri, to take on the Tigers for the first game of the 2019 football season Friday, August 30.

The Jays’ junior running back Joey Herron was the deep man and took the opening kickoff to mid field, giving Rock Port a first down on the 35 yard line.

The Jays moved the ball eight yards and were faced with a fourth and two. Rock Port Head Coach Dalton Jones decided to go for it, and sophomore fullback Colton Stevens got the job done with a three yard punch up the middle. With first and 10 on the Tigers’ 33 yard line, Rock Port senior quarterback Alex Burke handed off the ball to Herron who put the first six points on the board. The two point conversion was no good.

The Tigers wasted no time as they covered a squib kick on the 40 yard line. Two plays later DeKalb answered. The two point conversion was good, making the score 8-6 Tigers.

Jay’s freshman Micah Makings took the Tiger squib kick back to the 37 yard line. After picking up five yards on two runs, Burke hit junior Trey Peshek on a go route. Peshek hauled it in on the 15 and was taken down. The Jays would go four and out giving the Tigers the ball on their own 12 yard line. Three plays later the Tigers would put six points on the board and punch it in for two, making the score 16 to 6 Tigers.

Following the kickoff, Rock Port ran one play and then let time expire in the first quarter.

The first play of the second quarter, Rock Port quarterback Alex Burke handed off to running back Herron who took it 40 yards to the house, bringing the score to DeKalb 16, Rock Port 12.

DeKalb would run three plays and answer right back putting eight points on the board making the score 24-12 Tigers.

The Jays would take the kickoff back to the 30 yard line and in a series of 10 plays would punch it in for six, making the score 24-18.

DeKalb took over on their 40 yard line following the kick. Five plays later they added eight points to the board. The Jays had an unsuccessful series of downs, turning the ball over. With just under a minute, the Tigers added six more points giving them a 38-18 lead going into the half.

Coming out of the second half the Jays’ defense would set up and hold the Tigers to only one touchdown, giving them a final score of 44 points. The Jays offense would fight their way back into the ball game three more times, twice in the third quarter and once in the fourth, bringing the final score to Tigers 44 and Jays 38.

The Jays will be at home this Friday to take on Platte Valley for Homecoming.