The Tarkio School was built in 1911, occupying, including playground, the entire city block between Elm and Chestnut Streets, and 7th and 8th Streets. The school began as first through 12th grades until a new high school building was built in 1926. At that time the building was remodeled for first through 6th grades. Due to increasing enrollment, a new elementary school was built in 1959 and the school was converted into a middle school for grades 6th through 8th. Then in 1973, renovations to the elementary and high school buildings allowed for the closing of the middle school. Thereafter, the building was razed and new homes were built on that block. This picture was painted by Edna O’Dell and is featured in a book, “Tarkio Memories – Through the Art of Edna McCoy O’Dell,” being sold by Tarkio College. To request a copy of the book, contact Donald Jagger Photography, 12016 County Road 4001, Holts Summit, MO 65043, 660-623-0859, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.