March 23, 1945
• Spring weather arrived before the official date this year and the mercury registered in the seventies Saturday. The weather has been a little cooler since, but just about ideal for this season.
• The American Legion and Auxiliary observed the birthday of the American Legion in a joint meeting at the school building Monday evening. The celebration included a covered dish dinner, a history of the founding of the American Legion, a musical program, and a toast and speeches.
March 26, 1970
• In a special meeting of the Board of Education March 18, James Graham was given a contract to serve as high school principal and to coach boys’ basketball for the coming school term. Mr. and Mrs. Graham have two daughters, ages 4 and 2.
• Kiwanians and guests were in good number at Tuesday’s luncheon when 45 gathered for food and fellowship at the Presbyterian dining room. The program consisted of a presentation by representatives from Record Rendezvous, a Kansas City firm establishing record and record equipment retail outlets throughout the nation. Each member was presented a stereo record of his own choosing as a gesture.
• Atchison County has the only producing oil wells in the State of Missouri and they are causing the rural population immediately downstream no small bit of concern. At least once a year, Long Branch is loaded with a crude film of oil. This drives the beavers away and keeps fish population down, in addition to what effects it might have on livestock drinking from the stream. Long Branch merges with Little Tark, which also reaps the polluted disadvantages of the situation.
March 23, 1995
• To continue the celebration of the 150th birthday of Atchison County, the 14th day of each month has been set aside for some kind of celebration. The month of March was school essays. Students in the sixth grade participated. Dustin Graves and Kara Kemerling were Fairfax’s essay winners.
• Last weekend, about 30 people gathered at the Fairfax School gym to repaint the foyers and gym. They used 40 gallons of paint and painted the walls white with green stripes. The steps will be painted later.