August 3, 1945

• Mrs. Richard Morris has brought The Mail a rather lengthy story about how a group of American soldiers “adopted” a little native boy in Burma. He wandered into camp, was named Hobbie, and given every attention one would expect from a bunch of G.Is. Carl Morris was one of that group. He was among those who contributed money to make it possible for Hobbie to get a proper education.

• About 35 4-H boys and their leaders gathered at the Harold Luhrs’ farm early Tuesday for a practice hog judging contest. Clubs represented included County Liners Club, High Creek Club, Daleview Club, Centerview Club, and Farmers City Club.

• Fred Rosenthal, discharged from the army some time ago, is working at the Hamburg bakery for the present, again familiarizing himself with the trade which he followed some years ago. He plans to establish a bakery in Rock Port in the near future.

August 6, 1970

• Mr. and Mrs. Don Tharp are in the process of remodeling the former Graham Shoe Shop on Main Street. Plans are to open the D & N Western Shop in a week to 10 days. They will have in stock such items as shoes, boots, western apparel, western equipment, and horse trailers.

• Mrs. Arley Patton is a new resident in the Burke rental property on South Water Street. Mr. and Mrs. David Kuhns have moved from the Bradney apartments to the Homer Thomas rental property near the Chevrolet garage. Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Brown are new residents in one of the College Square homes.

• The Miss Fits split a doubleheader with Tarkio August 5 at Tarkio. The first game was won by Tarkio 14-4 and the second game was won by the Miss Fits 18-8. The games went well considering only eight Rock Port players were present to start the two games. A borrowed player from Tarkio put nine on the field.

August 3, 1995

• After cleaning the carpets, a box fan was set on the floor and left running overnight at the Rock Port Elementary. The fan caught fire and burned, which in turn caused the paint on nearby file cabinets to ignite (ruining the items inside). The fire melted plastic covers, damaging the fluorescent lights, burning the edge of a table, blackening and damaging ceiling tiles, and also ruining the carpet. An estimation of the damage cost is $6,000-$8,000.

• The Rock Port Telephone Company held its open house Saturday, July 29. Approximately 200 people attended and half of them took the tour of the phone company.

• A summer baton recital was held Saturday, July 15, for the elementary twirlers. Twenty-three girls completed six weeks of lessons under the direction of Mandi Runkles, who was assisted by Taya Moore.