August 24, 1945
• Reverend John C. Mayne of Jefferson City, Missouri, will be the main speaker featured at the annual convention of Atchison County churches and Sunday schools to be held in Fairfax Sunday. Rev. Mayne is the director of social relations of the Missouri Council of churches.
• T/5 Lloyd Mires sends home a newspaper clipping telling of the commendation given to the Second Armored Division, of which he is a member, and now on duty in Berlin. Members of this division had the important duty of guarding President Truman during the Potsdam Conference. Lloyd was among the first to land in France on D-Day and was in some of the hardest-fought battles in France and Germany and wears five battle stars. He expects to be home soon and was scheduled to leave Berlin August 6.
August 27, 1970
• Watermelon in a bottle and it grew ‘til the bottle fits like a girdle – Clarence Kerr guesses maybe a melon could have inhibitions that would make it seek peace and quiet away from the crowd. Anyway, he accidentally discovered this freak in his father’s melon patch.
• Thirty-six kindergarten students, with the prospects of three more, entered Fairfax R-III school Wednesday morning. Unofficial figures showed 390 pupils in the school that day.
• A silver tray was presented by the school board to Mrs. Corinne Mitchell in recognition of her many years of service to the Fairfax R-III school system as home economics instructor. Mrs. Mitchell has accepted a position at the home economics department at Northwest Missouri State College, Maryville.
August 24, 1995
• Kenna Demott was chosen as Miss Fairfax 1995 at the 30th annual Fairfax Fair Friday night. Whitney Harrington was selected as Little Miss Fairfax and Tyler Heits was named Little Mr. Fairfax. Marcy Pennel was named Junior Miss Fairfax.
• Mr. and Mrs. Norman Simmons entertained with a back-to-school picnic and barbecue for their grandchildren Monday evening at their home. Those present were Cole and Troy Simmons, Kyle Huffman, Nathan Easley, Jesse Simmons, Jody and Kirk Hawkins, and the hosts.